Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Entering the Charter School World

Well it's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I have gone and changed my mind again! We enrolled in a charter school called Sky Mountain. They are fairly new, but managed by IEM who has 15 years experience in administrating charter schools. I was drawn to them for the money, I must admit. They offer $1800 per year in educational funds, and support many different learning styles and teaching methods.
I am now really looking forward to getting started- we pushed our "First Day" back to match the schedule of the charter school so I have just under two weeks, and we will start school on Sept 4th, the same day I have a sonogram so we'll *hopefully* find out the sex of the baby. I am using http://www.home-school-inc.com for planning, and I think it will be very useful when meeting with our EF- both for putting together a PO for supplies and showing an organized lesson plan with examples of work.
I am going to be doing mostly unit studies in a Waldorf style. The charter had a self-analysis tool that helped me narrow my focus, and that is really helping me be concise in how we do Kindergarten with a low emphasis on academics yet an organized and balanced "lesson plan".
Grace is enjoying the last couple weeks of summer, today we are going swimming at a friends, and tomorrow we are working on yet more clearing out of clutter and making room for baby- now that the family room and homeschool room are done, and the office is half finished, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Tomorrow I'll attack all the closets and I think we'll actually be starting our school year in a fairly clean and organized home- for once!! Friday we will spend cleaning out the garage, where much of the clutter has gravitated, for our end of season garage sale. It amazes me that we seem to always accumulate enough, or decide more things aren't as necessary actually, for yet another garage clean out and sale!
Next week I will have free to plan the specifics for the first month of school. I feel suddenly behind, like where has the summer gone- but I think it is mostly because I was so indecisive all summer- it is nice to have finally chosen a path that seems to work for all of us.

No comments:

Puzzles!

Shawn last finished Da Vinci's Last Supper in Nov! No time for puzzles this fall- can't wait until we are in our own place again!!
Photobucket
Are you a puzzler? Want to trade?